Monday, February 27, 2012

Hot Dogs and Wild Geese


‘. . . Asking my father to ask the waitress the definition of “sloppy joe” or “tater tots” was no problem.  His translations, however, were highly suspect.’
This reminds me of my life because when ever we go to a new restaurant we always ask about certain dishes.  This line is similar to the life Sundara went through because she was always the one who had to read, or listen to something in english and then translate it into Cambodian.  I find this kind of funny because I can only picture the waitress’ face when Firoozeh’s father asked her about the sloopy joe and tater tots because to Americans these foods are kind of obvious foods
‘. . . My mother’s approach to learning English consisted of daily lessons with Monty Hall and Bob Barker.  Her devotion to Let’s Make a Deal and The Price is Right . . .’
This is kind of like my life because I would watch TV shows on PBS and read books when I was younger which helped me learn english.  It is very similar to Sundara’s family because they learned english mainly through watching TV.  I also enjoyed this quote because I watch The Price is Right and enjoy watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment